Setiu is the youngest among the seven districts in Terengganu Darul Iman. It was established on the recommendation of the Manpower And Administrative Modernization Planning Unit (MAMPU) on 1st January 1985.
This new district has an area of 135,905.80 hectares which is 10.49% of the total area of State Of Terengganu Darul Iman. It borders with the districts of Kuala Terengganu, Hulu Terengganu and Besut. The seven mukims in the district are:-
- Mukim Hulu Nerus - 54,523.30 hectares
- Mukim Calok - 20,589.60 hectares
- Mukim Hulu Setiu - 23,292.90 hectares
- Mukim Guntung - 16,348.50 hectares
- Mukim Tasik - 5,827.10 hectares
- Mukim Pantai - 8,499.40 hectares